Energy balls are great, especially as pre-workout munchies. They can be almost everything that you crave for; sweet, nutty, chocolatey and salty, without compromising on the nutritional value.
This recipe was developed when I had too much almond meal from my homemade almond milk routine. I found a way to dehydrate the almond pulp and mixing them into a healthful bowl of ingredients for this easy, cost-saving, energy- and nutrient-dense balls. If you don’t have a dehydrator at home, you can spread the meal on a tray and set it on low heat (50°C) in the oven for about 5 hours.
- 1 cup dehydrated almond meal
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons maca powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 3 - 4 tablespoons raw nut butter of choice (peanut, almond, etc)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/ powder
- Some Himalayan pink salt
- Mix all until a soft mixture is formed. Taste as you go along. You could add more nut butter or oil if the mixture is too hard, or add oats or almond meal if too soft.
- Using a measuring spoon, scoop mixture and form into balls.
- Chill before serving. Keep chilled.
Note: You can experiment with ingredients as per your liking and needs. Ingredients like dried coconut, dried fruits, raw cocoa powder, various chopped nuts can also be added into energy balls.