Malaysia recently showed the world how diversity and the unity of our people is strength. In conjunction with Malaysia Day and to celebrate our spirit of unity, I have created UNITY NASI LEMAK that has representation of our multicultural cuisines all in one.
This unique platter is not only a visual feast that carries all the colours of our National Flag but is also a wholesome dish. Reap the many health benefits of this delicious dish starting from the low starch basmathi grain, turmeric that is anti-inflammatory and a strong anti-oxidant, healthy saturated fat of coconut oil, tempeh that is packed with probiotics, and many more.
Enjoy an array of aromatic flavours that compliment one another and excite your taste buds. Every component come together harmoniously in flavour to make a dish that is distinctively and proudly, Malaysian.
Happy Malaysia Day, everybody!
Recipe: Unity Nasi Lemak
Blue- Aromatic Blue Basmathi Rice
- 2 cups basmathi rice
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk
- ½ thumb-sized ginger, skinned and sliced
- 4 strands pandan leaves, tied in a knot
- 1 handful dehydrated butterfly pea flower
- 1½ cup water
- Salt (to taste)
- Steep dehydrated butterfly pea flower in 1 cup of hot water for approximately 15 minutes until water comes out blue. Strain and squeeze out natural colouring from the flower. Set blue liquid aside.
- Wash basmathi rice until water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In the rice cooker, add basmathi rice, coconut milk, butterfly pea flower liquid, sliced ginger, and pandan leaves. Top with ½ cup water and season with salt.
- Cook rice in normal preset on the rice cooker.
YELLOW – Fried Tumeric Tempeh
- 1 block tempeh
- 1 thumb-sized turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp water
- Salt & white pepper (to taste)
- Coconut oil
- Cut tempeh into desired size and shape (but keep it small for faster cook).
- Pound the fresh turmeric using a mortar and pestle. Help it move with some water. Strain turmeric juice and set aside.
- Marinade tempeh with turmeric juice, cumin powder, pinch of salt & pepper.
- Heat up a drizzle of coconut oil over medium heat in a non-stick pan. Pan fry the marinated tempeh on all sides until golden yellow. Season to taste. Remove from heat and set aside on paper-lined plate to cool.
RED – Fried Chili Sauce
- 9 dried chili
- 3 red chili, seeded and sliced
- 5 cloves shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- Salt (to taste)
- Unrefined sweetener such as coconut sugar (to taste)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Break dried chilies and remove seeds. Soak in hot water for 30 minutes until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Blend together softened dried chilies, red chilies, and shallots in a food processor until fine.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add in chili paste, season with salt and coconut sugar. Stir for 10-15 minutes until sugar has dissolved and sauce has thickened.
- Spoon out fried chili sauce and set aside.
- 1 egg, hard-boiled with runny yolk, halved
- Boil a room temperature egg in medium heat for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and put egg into ice bath.
- Shell the egg and set aside.
- 1 piece poppadom
- 1 slice pineapple (sliced and grilled)
- Exercise your freedom of creative expression. Surprise your guests with your plating and visual take on Malaysia, Colours, and Unity.