If you have a sweet tooth like me, you probably love cheesecakes. Cheesecake paired with a cup of coffee is the perfect comfort combination on a cold Winter’s day. Actually, it is appropriate for any occasion!
One slice of cheesecake on average consists of 18 grams of sugar and 350 milligrams of sodium. Regularly consuming sugar and sodium can cause you to gain an unhealthy amount of weight, as well as increasing your risks of heart disease. Prevent these risks and eat clean! Try out this raw vegan raspberry cheesecake recipe coated with dark chocolate. I guarantee you - it’s rawtastic!
Ingredients for crust:
- ½ cup raw pecans (or raw almonds)
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 ½ cups pitted medjool dates
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg and salt
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 ½ cups cashews (soaked 3-4 hours or overnight)
- 1 large can coconut cream
- ¼ real maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Coconut flakes
- Dark chocolate (70%)
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Place raw pecans (or raw almonds), oats, dates, cinnamon, pinch of salt and nutmeg into a food processor until it forms into a dough. If the dough is too dry and crumbly, add a tablespoon of water.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with dough. Place pan in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Place the soaked cashews into the food processor and blend until completely smooth (cream-like consistency). Set aside.
- Place coconut cream into the food processor and blend until a fluffy whipped cream consistency is formed. Scrape the cream off the top and side of the food processor and continue blending until thick.
- Add maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract into the coconut mixture and blend until fully incorporated.
- Pour your blended cashews into the coconut mixture and gently mix together with a spatula.
- Take pan out of the freezer and gently pour half of the mixture into the pan to create your first layer of cheesecake. With a spatula, distribute the cheesecake layer evenly. Place in freezer for up to 1 hour.
- Blend raspberries and remaining mixture into the food processor until smooth.
- Take pan out of the freezer and pour the remaining mixture on top of the first layer. Again with a spatula, distribute the cheesecake layer evenly. Place cheesecake into the freezer.
- For the topping, melt dark chocolate over boiling hot water or microwave for 30 seconds (constantly stirring). Cover cheesecake with swirls of dark chocolate.
- Top with coconut flakes and more raspberries. Cut into squares and serve with love!
Replacing cream with cashews gives just about the same creamy factor minus the guilt, and replacing sugar with natural sweeteners, i.e.: agave nectar and dates, gives just about the same decadence without the feeling of being bloated after!
Enjoy this guilt-free dark chocolate coated raspberry cheesecake! What are your favourite vegan desserts?