As a plant-based lifestyle advocate, one of the things I strive to do is find avenues to show how accessible plant-based living can be in Malaysia. This means finding ways to incorporate fresh produce into my recipes as much as I can. I know a lot of you are now spending your days at home, and have been cooking a ton more. Perhaps you’re looking for some inspiration for things to make that are healthy, simple and creative. Well I am here to help with this favorite called Potato Water Apple Salad recipe
Giving a Malaysian facelift to a well-loved party classic, apple potato salad, this recipe instead takes advantage of the blissfully crispy Water Apple, also known as Rose Apple but better known to Malaysians as ‘Jambu Air’. Water apples add a refreshing touch and are rich in Vitamins A, C, calcium and potassium. The mayonnaise typically used in potato salad has been substituted with a lush plant-based sauce made of cashews.
Recipe: Davina Goh’s Potato Water Apple Salad
- 2 jumbo water apples
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill OR 2 sprigs Thai basil
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil for 30 minutes until cooked.
- In the meantime, blend all mayonnaise ingredients in a blender until smooth, chop water apples into bite-sized pieces, finely dice the onions and roughly chop the walnuts and dill / basil.
- Once potatoes are cooked, remove from heat and drain.
- Mix potatoes with salt, mayonnaise, water apple and dill / basil.
- Top with walnuts and serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for 30-45 minutes to eat chilled or to bring later to a get-together.