Let’s start with a caveat - there is no one size fits all. It is important to find an eating lifestyle that works best for you, your body & your current needs.But If you are on the keto bandwagon, and find that it works for you, you’ll know that it’s important to keep in your kitchen some staples that do a few things for you: fill up your belly up, give you that much needed added fiber, keep your ketosis on it’s optimal levels and provide you with a steady stream of energy without the dips.
Here is what you’ll want to have in your kitchen at all times:
- Avocados - These babies are low in carbs and high in fat, making it the perfect keto food. They are also high in fiber, which is helpful as a keto lifestyle can sometimes leave us with less fiber, leading to the uncomfortable situation of constipation. Avocados are also high in potassium, all in all making them the perfect fruit.
- Spinach and Arugula - Unlike most high-protein low-carb diets, a large quantity of green leafy veggies are discouraged because of their carbohydrate content. As a general rule for a keto plan, a daily allowance is 20-30 grams, and spinach and arugula can be the main way you fulfill that allowance. As a rule of thumb, each cup of salad leaves has less than 2 grams of net carbs. Other important keto-veggies you’ll want to bring back home are kale, fennel, celery, broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini and cauliflower.
- Canned Sardines - This fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids and also well, tasty! Often, you’ll find the fish packed in olive oil, which is even better. Plus they are ready to eat. We recommend adding them to freshly prepared salad.
- Salmon - Salmon doesn’t really need any more reason to be added to this list, but of course we have plenty for you. Firstly, for people who can’t stand the smell or taste of sardines, salmon is the once removed rich cousin. Besides being high in omega-3 and are a fatty fish, they are also absolutely delicious. Other fish to include that are also high in fat are mackerel and tuna.
- Olive oil - Olive oil has 75% of monounsaturated fat, making them great for the heart. You’ll want to do a little trial and error to find one that your taste buds fancy; different olives make different tasting olive oil. Nowadays you’ll be able to see such a variety - even some olive oil some with chilli! Truth be told, nothing quite like chilli olive oil on a
- Good old salad. Other options to consider are MCT oil and coconut oil, both also keto-approved.
- Almond Butter - What a fine snack this is. Healthier than peanut butter without a doubt, these guys can provide a creamy buttery texture for your mid-day cravings. They are also generally low in carbs. Lather over some broccoli or celery sticks and take a bite.
- Berries - We all know fruit on the keto diet is used sparingly. The kinds that are keto-approved are avocado and olives, obviously because of their high fat content. But berries are a sure thing to bring home too because a cup of strawberries, blackberries or raspberries have approximately 7 to 9 grams of carbs, which are still workable. Better yet, buy it organic. Fruits you’ll want to stay away from however are those who have a lot of carbs and sugar, like apples, pears, bananas, pineapples, grapes and papayas.
- Seeds - another snack to the rescue. Take your pick from macadamia nuts, flaxseed, Brazil nuts, chia seeds, walnuts, pecans, hemp seeds, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds. These guys keep you full for longer and also serve you with a high dose of healthy fat.
- Some good old Pegaga by PurelyB is especially beneficial on keto, because it helps us with our digestion and detoxification, during a time when we’d perhaps need that extra fiber. When we reduce our carbohydrate intake, this often comes at a cost of reduced fiber too, so making sure you stay regular in your elimination is key if you want to reap the benefits of ketosis. Pegaga can help you with that.
For more information in the keto lifestyle, we suggest checking out book by celebrity nutritionist Kristen Mancinelli The Ketogenic Diet: A Scientifically Proven Approach to Fast, Healthy Weight Loss