As sung by the popular lyrics from The Brady Bunch, “The summer’s sun calling my name, I gotta get out, get me some of those rays!” Many of us enjoy being surrounded by nature - whether it is going out for picnics, a jog, swim, or any other outdoor activities.
With being outdoors, we are often prone to insect and mosquito bites. The itch-scratch cycle that ensues is painfully frustrating, right? However, most store-bought insect repellents contain diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET), a chemical that can cause eye irritation, skin rashes and blistering. As how we are encouraged to consume foods and drinks that are as natural as possible for a healthy body, why not get some help from Mother Nature to repel those bugs?
Create your very own DIY insect repellent with essential oils! This remedy is simple to make, kind to our skin and are effective in keeping those mozzies at bay. Depending on your skin sensitivity and intensity level of your outdoor activities, get the ingredients you need and shield yourself from those pesky, blood-sucking insects!
For sensitive skin:
(Great for children and pets and light outdoor activities)
- approx. 120ml distilled or boiled water
- approx. 120ml natural witch hazel
- 15 drops of essential oils of your choice: peppermint, lemongrass, clove or lavender
For a stronger effect:
(Suitable for adults and intense outdoor activities)
- approx. 60ml distilled or boiled water
- approx. 180ml natural witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerine (optional)
- 30 drops of essential oils of your choice: lemon, citronella, tea tree, rosemary or eucalyptus.
- Mix the water, natural witch hazel and essential oils together in an 8oz (approx. 240ml) spray bottle.
- Shake well before use and spray on your arms, legs, backs, necks, and other areas of your body exposed to insects.
- For pets, apply the repellent on their legs, tails, and around their collars (to prevent insects from attacking their neck area).
- Additionally, you can combine two essential oils for a combination of therapeutic effects.
Tip: If you’d like to expand your aromatherapy essence - lemon and eucalyptus oil, tea tree and rosemary oil, or lemongrass and peppermint oil complement each other very well!
Who knew applying essential oils to our skin could prevent insect bites?
Here are the best essential oils by type of insect:
Mosquitoes: Peppermint, Lemon, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Clove, Rosemary, Thyme, Cinnamon.
Flies & Gnats: Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Patchouli.
Ticks: Peppermint, Melaleuca, Geranium, Cedarwood.
Make sure to keep your kids (and yourself!) away from forested areas and stagnant water! Also, apply the repellent once every few hours to maximise effectiveness. These naturally-scented essential oils remedies are not just fun and intriguing to blend, you’ll smell heavenly too!
Check out more all-natural bug bites remedies before you head outdoors!