As coughing is often the body’s attempt to expel unwanted mucus, suppressing a cough shouldn’t be the aim of treating a cough — however, that’s exactly what many over-the-counter cough medications do. Certified Naturopath, Amanda Teh shows us how easy it is to make your own cough syrup at home, just using 2 ingredients!
What is a cough?
Coughing is not a disease, it is a symptom and often an indication of an underlying condition. A cough can be caused by several conditions such as allergies, lung infections and even gastroesophageal reflux disease. You need to know the root cause of your cough to address the condition properly.
Most of the time, coughs are associated with a viral infection. In these cases, coughing is necessary and part of the normal reflex action from the immune response. When you cough, it helps to expel mucus, bacteria or any irritating substances from the respiratory tract.
As most over the counter cough medication act as cough suppressants, taking medication may not be a good idea as it will only block your cough reflexes and interrupt the body’s normal healing process.
These medications can also cause unwanted side effects such as irritability and drowsiness. From a naturopathic point of view, it is important not to suppress the symptoms but rather facilitate the healing process. The best things you can do when dealing with a cough are:
- Boost your immune system with a natural herbal remedy. Your cough will resolve within days if you have a strong immune system.
- Use a expectorant especially for wet coughs. These can help loosen up the mucus so you can easily get rid of the germs.
Remedy: DIY Onion Honey Cough Syrup
- High in vitamin C — it is a powerful natural antiviral and immunity enhancing food
- Rich in quercetin — a flavonoid compound that has strong anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine effects, which helps reduce the inflammation response from the upper respiratory tract.
- It is also excellent for coughs associated with allergies
- Rich in enzymes, vitamins, and also some phytonutrients — it is known to be very soothing for coughs.
- It also has antibacterial properties and promotes healing.
For the full recipe, watch the video above. Stay tuned for more natural home remedies you can do in the comfort on your own kitchen.
THE POWER OF SAFE & EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR HEALING
Did you know that nature gives us everything we need to heal? We'll show you how to reduce your exposure to toxins and pharmaceutical drugs by using natural Ingredients found in your kitchen, just a nature intended.