Although a common digestive complaint for many, especially children, diarrhoea can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. And because it isn’t encouraged to take anti-diarrhoea medication, Certified Naturopath, Amanda Teh, shows us an easy home remedy you can make instead to help your body heal.
What is diarrhoea?
Along with having more frequent, watery stool, when you have diarrhoea you may also experience other symptoms such as vomiting, stomach ache, headache or even fever. The most common causes of diarrhoea are viral or bacterial infections, such as rotavirus, salmonella, e. Coli, and parasites. Generally, it takes about 1-3 days to recover but sometimes it may take longer.
Over the counter anti-diarrhoea medication is not needed nor is it encouraged to be taken, especially for children, as it doesn’t treat the root cause and may have other side effects. It is crucial to stay hydrated as diarrhoea can lead to rapid fluid loss and dehydration. Take natural rehydration salts and always encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids such as soup, coconut juice, water.
Remedy: Banana Applesauce with Ginger
- Rich in pectins — a fiber that absorbs excess water from the intestines and firms up the stool.
- High in oligofructans — a prebiotic that helps to nourish the good gut bacteria that aid in nutrient absorption.
- Restore potassium levels and help the body absorb nutrients like calcium, and restore the energy and mass lost after diarrhoea.
- A good source of pectin and fibre.
- Do not use apple juice as it is high in sugar, does not contain the needed fibre and can worsen diarrhoea.
- Has carminative, antiviral, anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is very warming and soothing to the stomach, and reduces symptoms such as wind pain, vomiting and nausea.
For the full recipe, watch the video above. Stay tuned for more natural home remedies you can do in the comfort on your own kitchen.