As a country with a national obsession with food, it is only expected that most will be putting on a fabulous spread featuring all of the much-loved Malaysian favourites to honour the country's independence. The general crowd pleaser Agar Agar is always in the mix for us. This year, the old classic gets given a twist for the better, there is no processed sugar or colouring but just natural ingredients.
Benefits of Gelatine
Gelatin provides the necessary building blocks, like glycine to restore and prepare the gut lining, encouraging the growth of good bacteria keeping our immune system as well as increasing our overall wellbeing.
Benefits of Agar Agar
Agar agar is a good source of calcium and iron, and is very high in fibre. It contains no sugar, no fat and no carbohydrates. It is known for its ability to aid in digestion and weight loss. It carries toxic waste out of the body. It is also used in some parts of the world to treat hemorrhoids. Other benefits associated with agar are its ability to reduce inflammation, calm the liver, and bring relief to the lung.
No Processed Sugar or Colouring
We all know it takes a lot of will power to cut out sweet treats, however cutting out refined sugar doesn't necessary mean depriving ourselves from the comfort of treats. While traditional jelly is made predominantly out of sugar and colouring, the replacement with juice, kombucha or water kefir to make jelly takes out all the bad and replaces it with the good. The fresh juice provides the vitamins needed for essential health, and the fermented drinks gives the added probiotics we all need. You'll have no excuse to exclude this treat.
(yields 1 cup or 1 layer of jelly)
- 1 tbsp gelatin or agar
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 200ml of juice, kombucha or water kefir (room temperature)
For this recipe, we created 3 layers using 200mls fresh carrot and ginger juice, 200mls apple juice, and 200mls dragon fruit water kefir.
1. Bloom the gelatine / agar by stirring the powdered mixture into 2 tablespoons of cold water until dissolved. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes rubbery.
2. Once bloomed, add in 2 tablespoons of boiling hot water and stir until dissolved. Mix in the kombucha / kefir / juice into the solution and whisk for 10 seconds using a hand blender.
3. Pour into silicone molds or a small baking dish. Set in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until it is firm.
4. To make another layer, make up another batch of jelly by repeating steps 1 and 2. Continue this step for the different layers.
5. Serve as it is or with a side of coconut milk, passionfruit, or any topping of preference.