A Natural And Effective Cough Remedy – Steamed Orange With Salt
| Written by Stephanie Looi
I recently came down with a bad cough, was feeling congested, had an itchy throat and experienced interrupted sleep at night. Definitely no fun at all.
Soon my husband and 3-year old daughter got the cough too. Antibiotics was a fast cure option, however, my naturopath advised that I choose natural remedies to cure this nagging cough, slowly but surely. I readily decided on this over a pack of medications especially since I’m expecting.
I came across this simple remedy and decided to give it a try. I made all three of us a steamed orange with salt each and took it an hour before bedtime. Good news, it was really effective; we all slept through the night, felt less congested (this citrusy remedy worked like an expectorant), the irritation in our throats decreased and we felt so much better! The results were seen in 2-3 days. Plus, it’s pretty flavourful so my daughter didn’t have trouble drinking it.
Try this remedy the next time you or your loved one is having a cough. Of course, getting enough rest, drinking Manuka honey with lemon juice and salt gargles help too!
Note: If your cough symptoms still persist, please consult your physician immediately.
- 1 orange (per person)
- Himalayan salt
- Soak the orange in salt water for 20 minutes.
- Slice the top of the orange (about 2 cm from the top) to resemble a cap or cover.
- Poke a fork through to make multiple holes in the top of the orange.
- Sprinkle about ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt over and allow it to dissolve and seep into the orange.
- Cover the orange with its top. Put the orange into an empty bowl.
- Place it in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm - peel the orange (the skin will come off easily), eat the flesh and drink the juice that collects in the bowl.
Get well soon!