Did you know that your body sheds around 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells an hour? The shedding of dead skin allows the younger skin below to emerge, which is the body’s way of refreshing and renewing your skin.
Although the body does this on its own, sometimes it may need a bit of help. And that’s where body scrubs come in.
What is a body scrub?
A body scrub is used to help you slough off the dead skin cells to reveal the younger skin below. Body scrubs can be made from a variety of ingredients but what they all have in common is an abrasive ingredient that helps to exfoliate the skin.
Benefits of using a body scrub
As mentioned before, a body scrub helps to remove dead skin cells to reveal the newer skin below. Apart from removing dead skin cells, body scrubs also help rid the skin of dirt and oil that may be clogging up your pores. This will result in glowing and more radiant skin. Scrubbing your body regularly means that your skin will absorb moisture more effectively, and keeps the skin soft and supple. That expensive moisturiser won’t be wasted on those dead cells!
How to make your own body scrub
Although there are many types of body scrubs out there, making one yourself is pretty easy and inexpensive. Making your own also ensures that you know exactly what goes into your scrub – no surprise ingredients or nasty chemicals!
Below are some of the more popular ingredients that you can include in your homemade concoction.
- Sugar – Sugar is abrasive enough to do the job yet gentle enough to not damage the skin. Try making your own sugar scrub by combining some sugar (white or brown) with a little bit of oil. The oil will help to moisturise your skin while the sugar does its job of exfoliating.
- Salt – Salt is also a popular exfoliant and almost any type of salt will do the trick. Be careful not to choose too harsh a grain though as it may scratch and injure the skin; the finer, the better. Mix some salt with some oil and scrub away! Aside from exfoliating the skin, salt also has the effect of relaxing tired muscles (hence its popularity in foot soaks and baths). Although you may use any salt, table salt does not contain as many minerals as sea salt, for example. So if you want the added relaxing effect, opt for salts that are less processed compared to table salt. If the grain is too rough, you can blend or grind it to make it finer.
- Oatmeal – Apart from being a gentle exfoliant, oatmeal also softens and hydrates the skin. If you have sensitive skin, then oatmeal may be one of the best options for you as it is not as abrasive on the skin.
- Ground coffee – Ground coffee beans are also gentle on the skin and if you’re a coffee lover, you’ll love the aroma. It’s also a great way to recycle that ground coffee! You can also sometimes get used ground coffee beans from your local coffee place for free, which makes this a very economical choice.
You may use various types of oil for your scrub. You should take your skin type into consideration though – if your skin is dry, you may want to use a thicker oil. Otherwise, a light oil such as sweet almond oil does the job well. Other options for oils that you may use in body scrubs are coconut oil, olive oil, hazelnut oil, among others.
You may also include a few drops of your favourite essential oil to the mix to create a lovely fragrance.
Here’s a simple recipe for you to start with:
Lavender Sugar Scrub
- 1½ cups sugar (brown or white)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- Mix the sugar and the coconut oil together. If you’re not sure of the consistency you want, try adding the coconut oil a tablespoon at a time. This way you control how dry or wet you want the scrub to be.
- Once you have the desired consistency, add the lavender essential oil and stir to distribute the lavender oil. And you’re done!
Note: You can store the scrub in a mason jar, which by the way, also makes for a great gift with a personal touch!
Enjoy a vast array of products at PurelyB’s upcoming health and wellness marketplace - from healthy, gluten-free snacks, refreshing beverages to stylish and eco-friendly active wear, toxin-free personal care products, kitchen appliances and more! Plus, you'll get tips on beauty, nutrition, fitness and wellness! Join the PurelyB community today and sign up for free!