With over millions of skincare products to choose from, you're bound to be confused. Products specifically for combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin are all easily available and seem like they’re tailor-made for your skin, but they still contain chemicals (both mild and strong) that may or may not work for you. Which is why most times natural and organic products are the way to go.
There are lots of natural and organic products in the market but if you’re keen to experiment on your own, there are loads of concoctions that you could try. This is also especially helpful if the purse strings are a bit tight at the moment and you probably already have the products in your kitchen already anyway! Here are some facial mask recipes to get you started; they ‘re not just wonderful for the skin but they smell fantastic too.
Honey + Coconut Oil + Lemon Mask
Honey is a great antiseptic as it contains antibacterial properties which also help fight acne. Coconut oil allows penetration of skin pores and is able to help moisturise and soften skin. Lemon is a natural astringent that tightens and shrinks pores, and it also doubles as a whitening agent, enabling dark spots and scars to fade.
Make the mask:
- Mix all three ingredients into a bowl.
- Make sure the mixture isn't too thick or watery in consistency (play around with ingredients until you get a consistency you like) as you want to be able to apply it evenly to cover the whole surface of your face. Avoid the eye area as well as your eyebrows and hair.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes (or until it has dried) and wash it off with warm water. You'll feel the difference!
Turmeric + Rice Flour + Yoghurt Mask
For centuries, turmeric has been used as a beauty product. It has antibacterial properties that help fight acne and inflammation. It also helps reduce oil formation on your skin and also helps with eliminating signs of ageing and wrinkles. Rice flour is another ingredient that has been used for centuries, with properties very similar to turmeric but also mostly known for its whitening agent that makes your skin fairer and smooth naturally. This miracle flour is also used to soothe sunburnt skin. Yoghurt contains zinc and lactic acid that are great for removing dead skin cells, hydrating your skin, tightening pores and giving your skin a healthy glow. Mix them all together and you have a magical natural youth potion!
Make the mask:
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl. One spoon of turmeric and one spoon of rice flour is all you need.
- Mix in the yoghurt last so you’ll have better control of the consistency. Make sure it isn't too runny, otherwise it will drip off your face when you apply it.
- Leave it on until it fully dries, and rinse it off with warm water, massaging your skin as you go along.
- Enjoy radiant, glowing skin!
Oats + Honey Mask
Yes, we're aware that this sounds like breakfast more than it does a mask but we swear it works! Oats (besides being yummy for the tummy) contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help with sensitive, itchy skin. It also works great to help with acne-prone skin as it absorbs oil too. Honey mixed with oatmeal is antibacterial and also helps moisturise the skin! Who would've thought your breakfast could do that for your skin too, eh?
Make the mask:
- You can either opt to boil the oats in hot water (like you would before eating it but with less water) or grinding it until it becomes a powder.
- Mix it with honey. Ensure the paste isn't too watery, but thick enough to be applied to your skin.
- Once it dries, rinse with warm water, massaging in circular motions. It doubles as a soft face scrub as well.
After using the mask, you can use apple cider vinegar as a skin toner. Gently pat your skin dry, and then using a clean cotton pad/wool, apply some apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water. There might be slight little tingling sensations, especially over cuts, breakouts and acne but it'll pass rather quickly. This natural toner will also help to remove any residue from the mask.
Give these simple masks a try. They require minimal effort, minimal spending but maximum results. There's nothing quite like having gorgeous skin without having to break the bank!