As parents, we are always on the lookout for safe natural remedies that we know will have a positive effect on medical conditions and overall maintenance of health. Pegaga (Gotu Kola) is the wonder herb everyone is talking about, and that has been used to treat illnesses and improve everything from memory to skin ailments for centuries.
One of the most important benefits of Pegaga is how safe it is to consume for children as there are no side effects and can be easily taken as a supplement or even fresh as an ingredient in salads. Widely used in Asian herbal cures and traditionally known as the ‘herb of longevity and enlightenment’, Pegaga’s versatility is what makes it so beneficial and a viable choice for so many conditions.
The most popular and interesting benefit is the herb’s ability to boost cognitive brain function, which includes reasoning, attention span, memory, language and the attainment and preservation of knowledge. A child’s brain function is far better than an adult’s due to age, less stress, sleeping more and having no unhealthy lifestyle habits.
So, how can Pegaga help with brain function?
- Stimulates the growth of brain cells and dendrite branching, where dendrites are part of the structure of a neuron and responsible for brain plasticity, i.e. the brain’s ability to adjust to changes from within and outside the body. This means that memory and learning functions improve with the consumption of Pegaga.
- Free radicals are found in pollution, the ozone, cigarette smoke and certain types of food, and are therefore hard to avoid. Pegaga protects the brain from oxidative stress which is caused by the imbalance of free radicals and antioxidants in the body.
- Children of school-going age especially those in secondary school are under pressure to perform academically and Pegaga has been shown to inhibit the breakdown of Acetylcholine (transmits nerve impulses in the nervous system). By doing this, memory and cognition improve and this could also be a factor in preventing degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s when they are much older.
- Another common complaint of children in school is fatigue and more commonly anxiety caused by workload and the pressure to perform well. Studies have shown that Pegaga has anti-anxiety properties and could aid in easing the stress and mental fatigue.
- For the brain to have optimal function, cerebral blood flow (CBF) is imperative. Children in the prime of their learning phase will benefit greatly from Pegaga’s ability to augment this.
- We are surrounded by hundreds of neurotoxins—substances which can harm / alter our cerebral cortex, hippocampus and hypothalamus—which are located in the brain and control memory, emotions and cognitive functions. Pegaga is currently being studied for its potential neuroprotective properties meaning yet another incredible benefit for our children.
Besides all the memory and brain function advantages, Pegaga has been used as an important ingredient in the cosmetic industry especially in anti-ageing formulas. While children don’t need this, the same properties can help with scarring and other skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and minor burns. Pegaga’s antibacterial and antioxidant properties, make it the ideal natural skin remedy suitable for children.
With all these incredible proven benefits, the next step is to integrate Pegaga into your child’s diet and while children may not enjoy consuming the leaves fresh, mixing a powdered version into a smoothie will make a tasty treat!
To find out more about these amazing Traditional Asian herbs, and how to preorder this limited edition product, click here.