Here at PurelyB, we are all about making comfort foods healthy - healthy so we can still enjoy them, while also getting nutritional value from what we’re eating. Dessert is no exception. Wouldn’t it be nice to enjoy something “sweet” with superfood ingredients? Today, we present to you the Superfood Tapioca Pudding Recipe
For those of you not too familiar with tapioca, it is a starch extracted from the cassava root. Cassava root is a sweet, nutty flavored tuber native to South America. It looks similar to a potato but is naturally gluten-free. For this pudding recipe, we use tapioca in the form of pearls but tapioca is also available in the form of flour and flakes. Because of its thick consistency, it is often used as a binding agent or thickener to improve texture and moisture content. The best thing about tapioca is that it has a low glycemic index (GI), which makes it beneficial for those who want to control their sugar levels, or those who are living with diabetes.
So if you’re hunting for an easy non-cook dessert that’s free from refined sugar, has no dairy or gluten, this tapioca pudding is a winner. Sweetened with Kelulut Honey, you’re getting the king of honey to add that sweet taste, without the usual sweet side effects. Kelulut is fantastic because like tapioca, it also has a low GI. Kelulut is also a local superfood. In addition to Kelulut, we’ve added in another local superfood, our very own Pegaga by PurelyB, This traditional Asian superfood Gotu Kola does wonderous to the skin, digestion & immunity. Here is the recipe that serves one:
Recipe: Tapioca Pudding
- 1 cup of any dairy free milk for soaking
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- ⅓ cup tapioca pearls
- 2-3 tablespoons of Kelulut Honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- ⅛ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 spoon of Pegaga by PurelyB
- Diced fresh fruit and extra Kelulut for drizzle
- Add tapioca into medium saucepan. Add milk alternative. Let the two soak off the burner for 30 minutes
- Add coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of Kelulut Honey, salt and vanilla (if using paste. If extract, add after cooking)
- Place pan over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Stir in vanilla extract if using. Add Pegaga to the mix. Taste and add additional Kelulut if a sweeter pudding is desired.
- Pour into heat-proof individual containers. Transfer into the refrigerator and chill for at least one hour
- Serve topped with fresh fruit of your choice and extra Kelulut honey drizzle if desired.