Hummus—the perfect example of a snack that is both delicious and healthy. Turn things up a notch this Halloween with this Spicy Pumpkin Hummus.Packed with immunity boosting vitamins and minerals, in particular Vitamin A & C, pumpkins are a great addition to your diet. Apart from being delicious, they are rich in antioxidants, which may help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases, and are also great for heart and eye health, amongst other things. So whether it’s for a party or just to add a colourful protein punch to your meals, this crowd-pleasing hummus is a must-have this season!
Recipe: Spicy Pumpkin Hummus (Vegan, GF)
- 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup pumpkin, peel removed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add the pumpkin pieces to a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt & pepper and toss until evenly coated. Roast for about 30 mins, until the pumpkin is tender.
- To a food processor, add the tahini, lemon juice and garlic and blitz until a smooth whip. Add the roasted pumpkin, spices, chickpeas, extra virgin olive oil and salt & pepper and blitz again until smooth. Slowly drizzle in some water while blending if the consistency is too thick.
- To serve, transfer the hummus to a plate and garnish with black sesame seeds and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve with crackers, cut vegetables or add a dollop to your meals.