There’s nothing quite like having the smell of garlic wafting through the air; aromatic with the promise of a delicious meal, it’s enough to start the mouth watering!
Garlic is a staple in many dishes due to the wonderful flavour it imparts, and of course it’s also packed with nutritional benefits, so don’t be afraid of adding it to your meals whenever you can.
Some people find raw garlic a little too pungent with a taste that’s too sharp, so here’s an easy recipe for a garlic spread that you can add to practically anything, for example, spread on toast, as a dip, as a condiment for roasted or grilled meat; the sky’s the limit! And the best part is that this spread can be frozen, so you can make large batches at a time to be enjoyed later.
- Heads of garlic (as many as you want)
- Olive oil (to spread over the top)
- Salt and pepper
- Herb of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Cut the heads of garlic crosswise.
- Spread some oil over the tops of the garlic, wrap in foil and put into the oven to roast for about 45 minutes. They should be soft and a dark golden colour.
- Once they’re ready, take them out of the oven and remove the skin. This can be done easily just by squeezing the garlic out.
- Mash up the garlic until smooth and creamy (you may add more olive oil to reach the texture and consistency you want), and add in the herb of your choice (my favourite is rosemary), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy! (Or freeze and enjoy it later)