Looking for a healthy Halloween treat? Here’s a recipe for some raw vegan cookies that are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free and guilt-free! I call them “Spooky Cookies”!
Took them to BFM 89.9 - The Business Station the other day and the radio hosts and producers loved the raw treats. So this has been tried and tested.
You’ll need a cookie cutter in the shape of a ghost. I found mine at the Daiso store - how convenient. :)
- 2 ½ cups cashew nuts
- 1 ⅓ cups coconut flour
- 1/3 cup natural sweetener of your choice - maple syrup, agave, date paste, coconut blossom sugar
- 3 tablespoons of filtered water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Blackcurrants (for the eyes)
*For pumpkin spice, I usually use the following combination by Russell James (The Raw Chef):
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- You can use store bought cashew flour, or make your own in your food processor. I prefer to make my own by pulsing the cashews in a food processor. Just be careful not to blend too much or too fast as it can turn into cashew nut butter. Be patient and you’ll be rewarded with your very own cashew flour made from whole cashews and no fillers.
- Place all ingredients except blackcurrants in a bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the mixture onto a non-stick baking mat to your desired thickness.
- With your Halloween-themed cookie cutter, cut the cookies from the rolled-out dough.
- Press in two blackcurrants into each spooky cookie to make eyes.
- Place cookies into dehydrator and dehydrate for 12 hours at 45 degrees Celsius or until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Alternatively, place in fridge for 30 minutes to firm up and then enjoy!