Put a twist on your dates for Iftar and try these Maca Date Bites. Apart from the health benefits of the dates, maca powder has been known for various health benefits such as stress relief, enhancing energy and fertility, preventing/managing osteoporosis and relieving constipation. Almonds are a great source of minerals such as magnesium, which helps to normalise blood pressure, strengthen bones and keeps the heart rhythm steady. They are also a great source of antioxidants which help to protect against oxidative stress which can damage cells and contribute to ageing and diseases like cancer. Hemp seed hearts are an excellent source of essential fatty acids – omega 3, 6 and GLA. They are also rich in vitamin E and protein.
To add to all this goodness, these goodies are gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free.
- ½ cup almonds
- 12 dates
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp nut butter (this recipe uses Brazil nut butter)
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- Place almonds in food processor and blend for 10-20 seconds to break up the almonds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until all the ingredients bind together and form one piece of ‘dough’.
- Remove from the processor and roll in to bite size balls.
- Roll in raw cacao powder and hemp seeds hearts. You can choose other ingredients such as sesame seeds, crushed pistachio nuts, chia seeds.
Makes approximately 12-14 balls. Consider making these treats for your Raya open house.