Most of us love fruit. And fruit is good for us. However, not everything that contains fruit is healthy. Take for example, jam. Oh, how lovely is a piece of toast spread with jam! Crunchy and sweet, it’s hard to imagine that something so simply delicious can actually be unhealthy. Unfortunately, most of the store-bought varieties are chock-full of sugar and preservatives.
The good news is, you can actually make your own at home, and what’s even better is that you’d be making jam that is healthy, delicious, and only made with natural ingredients! Sounds too complicated? Not at all.
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup/honey
- Water (for consistency)
- Chop up strawberries and place in a blender. Add chia seeds and maple syrup/honey. Blend until you get the desired consistency by adding water – a little at a time.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan. Put over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the stove, and let the jam cool for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to jars and let cool completely before you refrigerate.
The jam should last for up to two weeks, if you don’t finish it before then! Enjoy!
Note: You can also substitute the strawberries with other berries of your choice. And once you get the hang of it, experiment away!