Here's a healthy spin on a favourite noodle dish, bihun goreng, packed with lots of veggies and made with high-quality ingredients! Unlike the noodle dishes you may enjoy at the food stalls and restaurants, these stir-fried brown rice noodles are free of processed sugar, soy, preservatives and salt. Not only are these brown rice vermicelli noodles so tasty, but they’re also gluten-free so you can feel good about fueling up with this yummy dish.
Recipe: Garlic & Chilli Brown Rice Noodles
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 chopped chillis
- 1 large head broccoli chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup cabbage/ spinach or vegetable of your choice (optional)
- 8 ounces brown rice vermicelli (make sure you read the label and buy 100% brown rice noodles.
- Please avoid the brands that add in unnecessary preservatives or ingredients)
- 5 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (gluten-free)
- Sea salt
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and chilis, stirring until everything starts to sizzle. Add broccoli and carrots, continue cooking for about 4-8 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet if vegetables start to stick. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Transfer this vegetable mixture to a medium bowl.
- If you're adding in spinach, stir fry this separately with salt and pepper in coconut oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until wilted; add it into the medium bowl with the other vegetables.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice noodles and cook, stirring frequently for about 3-5 minutes. Drain the water with a strainer and return the noodles to the pot.
- Add tamari soy sauce to the noodles, heat over medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and add the vegetable mixture. Gently toss until everything is nicely mixed. Add salt and pepper for additional taste, if needed.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped garlic and onions. Serve immediately.