The Chinese often use shark fin soup to express their hospitality to their guests, but due to the increasing awareness on the finning of sharks and its impact on shark populations, many have sworn against consuming it any longer. Why not replace the real thing with a healthier, vegetarian version that is eco-friendly as well?
Fortune Vegetarian Shark Fin Soup Recipe (2 servings)
- 2g Kanten powder (+100ml water)
- 100g Seaweed Tofu (sliced into fine strips)
- 3 leaves White Chinese Cabbage
- 20g Enoki Mushroom
- 1 tbsp Starch
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 600ml Water
- 1½ tsp Fine organic sea salt
- 1 tsp Organic Japanese white soy sauce
- 1 tsp Organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp G Seasoning Powder
- 1 tsp Organic black molasses
- 2 tbsp Organic rice vinegar
- Dissolve the kanten powder in 100ml of boiling water, and allow it to cool until it sets.
- Boil the white cabbage in water until soft; remove from pot and set aside.
- Add in the garlic and seasonings to the broth in which the cabbage was boiled in.
- Add in the seaweed tofu and enoki mushrooms until soft. Stir the broth and ladle into bowls.
- Strip the kanten jelly that was made earlier and top the soup off with it. Serve immediately.