Did you ever think there could be a substitute for cream that isn’t another dairy product? Well, let me tell you there is a substitute, and the best part is that it’s not dairy, it’s not from a can and it’s super healthy. I’m talking about cashew nuts. Cashew nuts are full of heart-friendly monounsaturated fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals.
This is one pasta dish that will not leave you feeling bloated and stuffed, but instead you will feel nourished. You can play around with this dish and make it gluten-free by serving it with gluten-free pasta or zoodles. Once you learn to make this sauce, you’ll look at cashews in a whole new light!
- ½ cup cashew nuts, soaked for at least 4 hours
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 handful baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pasta of choice
- Before you begin, set some water to boil and cook the pasta according to instructions.
- To make the cream sauce, place the cashews and 1 clove of chopped garlic in a blender with the milk. Blend until you get a nice creamy consistency. Then add the nutritional yeast and give it a final whizz.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the remaining garlic followed by the mushrooms. Sauté on a low heat for a few minutes until the mushrooms and garlic are light brown.
- Add in the cream sauce, tomatoes and olives, plus 1 cup of water. Keep stirring the sauce to prevent it from sticking to the pan, and add in the spinach leaves. Once the leaves have wilted, turn off the heat.
- Serve with your choice of pasta or even zoodles. Sprinkle nutritional yeast for a more cheesy taste.
Optional Add-On: Baked Salmon
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 4 slices of lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Cut the fillet into two pieces. Place the salmon pieces in a baking dish, top each with the lemon slices and dill.
- Cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes and then remove the foil. Bake for a further 5 minutes until the top has a nice golden colour.