Are you hosting a potluck party or heading to one, but don’t feel like cooking? Here’s the perfect solution to preparing an impressive yet effortless dish — a cheese platter. With such an array of ingredients, you can be sure that everyone will like something from it.
When choosing cheese, there is so much to choose from. I tend to choose mild cheeses, but really it’s up to you. My favourites are brie, camembert and manchego. The same goes with crackers. My suggestion is a light crisp type, and one that is slightly salty.
For this platter I used Goiaba, which is a Brazilian guava paste. It is a perfect pairing with some cheeses. As it is not easy to get, you can replace this with a quince jam.
- Cheese (at least 3 types of cheese)
- Fresh fruit (grapes, kiwi)
- Dried fruit (apricots, figs)
- Goiaba (optional)
And for those sensitive to lactose or avoiding dairy products, you won’t have to miss out either. Here is a recipe so you can make a dairy-free, vegan friendly cheese board too.
Image credit: BBC Good Food
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- ¼ to ½ cup water, for consistency
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Fresh herbs of choice (parsley, rosemary, dill)
- Salt to taste
- Soak the nuts for at least 4 hours.
- Drain the water from the nuts and add to the food processor. Blend for about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and some of the water and blend. Slowly add the remaining water depending on the consistency you prefer.
- Serve in a small side dish