Enjoy sweet and sour sticky Honey Lemon Chicken without the mess of deep-frying. This is a delicious and healthy weekday meal that you can serve with rice for a typical Chinese meal, or with a big side salad, or even toss it together in a salad. This dish is not only easy to make but it’s quick too – 20 minutes is all it takes.
- 300g skinless chicken breast / thigh fillet
- 3-4 tbsp flour (I use rice flour for a gluten-free version)
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for a gluten-free version)
- 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp corn starch / rice flour / wheat flour
1. Cut chicken into 1 inch strips, place into a mixing bowl and mix well with soy sauce and shaoxing wine.
2. Add in flour and toss, lightly coating the chicken. Add in 1 more tablespoon of flour if the chicken pieces are not evenly coated.
3. Heat up a pan with oil on medium heat. When the pan is hot, place chicken strips in a single layer in the pan and don’t overcrowd it. If the pan is not large enough, cook the chicken in batches. Cook for 5 minutes and turn over to cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare lemon sauce by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl, until well incorporated. Toast the sesame seeds in another pan over low heat for 1-2 minutes; stir or shake the pan 3-4 times so that it doesn’t burn.
2. Cut a piece of chicken to check that it’s fully cooked. Pour the sauce into the chicken pan, and remove from heat when the sauce starts to boil. Stir well to coat the chicken strips, top with the sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
This dish also goes very nicely with a Roasted Broccoli Salad.