One dish meals are a godsend for busy people. They’re simple to make and can be enjoyed by the whole family or even to serve to guests. All you need is one pot and the necessary ingredients – easy and simple. You can even prepare the ingredients beforehand and store them in the fridge until it’s time to cook.
I love one pot dishes as you get all the flavours from the ingredients melded together and one of my favourites, which is not only healthy but absolutely delicious, is the Japanese ‘Salmon Kombu Rice’ dish. This recipe is light, tasty and will satisfy both adults and children alike.
Using a rice cooker makes this even simpler.
Salmon Kombu Rice Recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins; Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 piece salmon fillet
- 1 stalk of kombu (dried kelp)
- 1 cup multi-grain rice or brown rice
- 4 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- Seaweed, spring onion and fish roe (optional)
- Kombu Water
- 1 stalk of kombu soaked in hot water for at least an hour, or you can soak it overnight in the fridge (you will be needing the kombu water)
- Salmon marinated in:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons of tamari sauce
Note: This helps to get rid of the fishy smell of salmon, and also adds flavour.
- Wash and pat dry the rice and place in the rice cooker.
- Add 1 cup of the kombu water to the pot.
- Season the rice with: 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon of brown rice syrup, 2 tablespoons of tamari sauce, and give it a light stir.
- Put in the marinated salmon fillet on top of the rice.
- Switch on the rice cooker and wait for the dish to cook.
- You can smash the salmon into pieces and stir so that it is incorporated into the rice, if sharing. Top with dried seaweed, spring onion and fish roe, or anything else you’d prefer before serving.
This meal gives you your quality, complex carbohydrates, protein and good fat – all in one pot! You can also come up with your own versions of the healthy one pot dish with just a few simple ingredients – we’ve got some helpful tips here for you.