I personally love one-pot dishes that soothe the soul while nourishing the body. This simple curry is packed with flavour while being rich in protein, fibre, vitamin A and C among many other nutrients.
It is the perfect accompaniment to those heavy meat-laden Eid Mubarak dishes so that the buffet spread is more balanced and your vegetarian guests have a delicious treat.
Recipe: Pumpkin Tempeh Curry
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup pumpkin, cubed
- 1 packet tempeh, cubed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Lemon, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- In a pot heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in the pumpkin and the curry powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and stir until the heat toasts the spices and they turn fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 5 mins until the pumpkin softens then add in the tempeh. Simmer for another 15 mins until all the flavours have blended and the pumpkin is breaking down to make a thicker curry.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add fresh coriander leaves to serve.