Whip this light, refreshing and heart-healthy, Italian-inspired salad within minutes! Crisp and flavourful, this makes a great option for lunch, dinner or even a snack.
Quinoa is a pseudo-cereal, naturally gluten-free, rich in proteins and one of the few plants that contain all the 9 essential amino acids. It’s a superfood for reasons aplenty - high in fiber, magnesium, vitamin Bs, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and antioxidants.
There are three types of quinoa; white, red and black. For today’s recipe, we have used white quinoa.
Italian Caprese Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 cup light mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Himalayan or sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Add 2 cups of water in a large saucepan.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions; put in the freezer to cool down if you are going to eat the salad immediately.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, avocado and pine nuts.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and olive oil (or balsamic dressing) then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Buon appetito! (Enjoy your meal!)