A roulade is a wonderful dish to serve your guests. A medley of flavours all rolled up into one delicious treat will definitely impress, and it also looks pretty good on a plate. This vegetarian roulade is easy to make and will have your guests wolfing it down, so you may want to make extra!
Serves: 4 - 6
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours
Difficulty: Not Too Tricky
- 2 large eggplants
- 250g frozen baby spinach (thawed and squeezed to remove as much liquid as possible)
- 1 cup (250g) regular ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups light buffalo mozzarella, divided in 1/2 cup and 1 cup
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan (preferably Parmigiano Reggano)
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, germ removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly grounded
- 1 cup tomato passata or marinara
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: If you are lactose-intolerant, you can substitute cheese with kefir.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove eggplant ends and slice them thinly. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and place 12 eggplant slices on it. (You may need to use two baking sheets or bake the eggplants in two batches, depending on the size of your oven). Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and let them cool.
- While eggplants are baking, prepare ricotta/spinach mixture. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella (1/2 cup), parmesan, spinach, egg and garlic, basil, grounded walnuts. Mix well and season to taste.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Generously spread ricotta/spinach mixture on an eggplant slice (about two heaped tablespoons), roll it and arrange in prepared dish, seam side down. Continue with remaining eggplant.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce (1/2 cup) and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella (1 cup). Cover with foil, reduce oven to 175°C and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
If you’d like to have a healthier yet still delicious feast this Christmas with dishes such as the one above, sign up for Geeta’s Healthy Christmas Cooking Class! With recipes such as Festive Cous Cous, and Beetroot Pesto, amongst others, it’ll be a Christmas spread that’ll wow your family and friends.
- Date: 10th December 2016 (Saturday)
- Time: 2pm-5pm
- Venue: Iloha Cultural Centre, 21-1 Jalan Telawi Dua, Bangsar Baru, 59100 KL.
- Price: RM200
For more info, please contact 012-2186656 (Geeta/Illoha)