This stew is perfect for the whole family. What I do for my toddler is give it a quick whizz, and I mean really quick as I like to keep it a bit chunky. For my 9-month old baby, I blend it to almost a puree but still keep some bits in it.
I tend to prepare this a day in advance, because after a day, the flavours really set in.
Ingredients (4 adult servings)
- 4-5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant
- 390g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked or 1 tin organic chickpeas
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-2 pinches nutmeg
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garam masala
1. If using raw chickpeas, cook the chickpeas first.
2. In a deep pan, heat up the oil and add the onion and garlic. Fry till the onions are slightly translucent.
3. Add in the eggplant and stir to coat the eggplant with the oil. Cook until the eggplant is soft.
4. Add in the tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
5. Add in the cinnamon stick, coriander powder, salt, nutmeg, pepper and honey. Mix well.
6. Set the heat to low and allow the stew to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in the garam masala at the very end and just cook for another 1 minute.
7. Serve with brown rice and Greek yoghurt.