Today, we would like to teleport you to Hawaii! This chicken teriyaki recipe is a healthy and mouth-watering dish that you can make to impress your guests :) You can simply present the dish in a pineapple to make it look nicer and tastier!
With its sharp leaves and thick skin, pineapples may look a tad intimidating but underneath that porcupine-like exterior lies its juicy, golden flesh. They have a vibrant tropical flavour, a balance between sweet and tart. Although the season for pineapples runs from March through June, they are available all year round in local markets all over the world.
Pineapples have numerous health benefits as fascinating as how it looks. They are rich in vitamin C and manganese, a trace mineral important in energy production, antioxidant defenses and supports bone health. Bromelain, a protein-digesting enzyme is abundant in pineapples has a host of benefits including promote better digestion, improving sinusitis and has anti-inflammatory properties. Taken together, all these nutrients in the pineapple help to reduce inflammations of joints and muscles, boosts immune system, reduces the risk of arthritis and clotting and bruising. A sweet ally? You bet.
How to cut a pineapple:Simply chop off the top and bottom. Then placing it on a flat surface, slice off the rind, top to bottom and all around. Then just slice the fruit into rings or chunks.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 small orange
- 1 green and yellow bell peppers
- 1 pineapple, cut in halves
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
For the Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 cups brown rice
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- For the coconut rice, add the water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan. When it starts boiling, add the rice and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes, before fluffing the rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour ¼ cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare your grill and turn it up to medium heat.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to a grill basket with a bit of olive oil and grill them in the basket. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then put them on a plate. Do the same with the pineapple.
- Once the vegetables and pineapple are grilled, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Put it onto a plate to cool before slicing.
- To serve, add coconut rice to each serving bowl (you can use the pineapple halves as bowls like in the picture). Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken.
- Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce on top, if you’d like.
E ʻai kāua / Let's eat :)