This super smoothie can be prepared the morning itself. It is quick and easy to make, and if you have the fruits chopped and ready the night before, it will not require a lot of preparation time at all. Be sure to look for Quick Cooking Oats in the supermarket aisle for this recipe.
- 1/3 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup of boiled water
- 1 cup organic milk, coconut milk or any nut mylk of your choice (add less liquid to produce a thicker consistency)
- 1/3 cup chopped bananas
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp green powder (wheatgrass, barley grass, spirulina or any other chlorophyll rich green powder)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs
Add boiled water to quick cooking oats. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
In a blender, add in milk, banana, avocado, cocoa powder and cacao nibs together with the oats. Blend until smooth. Serve in a tall glass or mason jar.
Variations and benefits
- Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed for additional fibre and omega 3 boost.
- Substitute avocado and banana for any fruit of your choice. I like to base my selection on local and seasonal fruits that have a high fibre content such as pineapples.
- Substitute milk for pure fruit juice. Choose a moderately sweet fruit to avoid spiking your blood sugar level too quickly so early in the morning.
- For a less chocolate-y affair, omit cocoa powder and cacao nibs and experiment with maca powder that can produce a similar effect in maintaining and enhancing energy levels during the day.
Get your organic ingredients at Greenbug Grocer.