This non-alcoholic kefir sangria is a refreshingly delicious mocktail that’s great when entertaining and it’s even good for you!
A traditional sangria recipe is a mixture of red wine, brandy, orange juice, and soda water with cut fruits. My kid-friendly non-alcoholic sangria with water kefir is even good for your gut! I use pomegranate juice to replicate a red sangria. Grape or apple juice would work great for a white sangria. For the fruit, I like to use the ample supply of citrus from my local markets and garden – thin slices of oranges, lemons, limes – plus an apple for crunch. You could also try fresh fruits like strawberries, pineapple, or grapes. When steeped for several hours, the fruits both flavour the drink and soak up the liquid, turning plump and juicy. They not only look pretty in the glass, but are a delight to eat.
Makes 1 jug (approximately 1 liter)
- 1 liter pomegranate juice / cherry juice / mixed berry juice
- 250ml water kefir
- 2 limes, cut into round slices
- 2 tablespoons blueberries
- 5 strands red currants
- In a large pot or bowl, combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, add more lime water kefir and serve in glasses. Enjoy!