Raw cakes are sometimes also known as raw cheesecakes, the reason probably being that they do resemble cheesecake. Well, with a healthier twist that is! This treat requires no baking, there's no gluten, no dairy, and no refined sugar involved.
Raw Mango Cheesecake
Mangoes are rich in beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A when consumed. Vitamin A is particularly good for eyesight, skin, mucous membrane, and our immune system. This blissful treat also contains a great amount of vitamin C and potassium. Let's get to it.
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups / 300grams cut mango, fresh or frozen works
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 cup cashew kernels, soaked overnight
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or 2 tablespoons agave nectar *I prefer using Manuka honey as it adds an aromatic dimension
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender/food processor blend all base ingredients until combined. Add the mixture into a lined baking tin and press down firmly.
- Make the filling by placing the mango, lime juice, cashews, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla in the blender/food processor, blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin over the base, spread evenly, and let it set in the freezer overnight or a minimum of 3-4 hours.
- Remove the cheesecake from the freezer, cut up into the desired serving size and garnish with a layer of fresh mango, any stone fruit you have on hand, toasted coconut flakes or raw cacao nibs.
- You always can freeze chopped mangoes in packs in the freezer when the season comes to play. This way you'll always have some handy to eat without having to fork out ridiculous amounts when it's off season. When picking mangoes, smell it. The fragrance is a good giveaway - the more pungent, the sweeter it'll tend to be.
- If you have a small freezer, you might find raw cheesecakes best made in a (rectangular) loaf tin, this could also mean saving up half the portion for an emergency dessert for times you have unexpected guests over. Cover it well with cling wrap and it'll save in the freezer for up to a month.
- To quickly soak cashews, pour boiling hot water over the cashews, soak for 1 hour uncovered, then drain and use as instructed.