Hot chocolate is a favorite for many people across all ages, across the whole world. Hot chocolate brings us together, at a time when the seasons change. It is a heartwarming drink, marking a period of holidays and time for celebration.
However the problem with most hot chocolate recipes out there - store bought ones or even the powdered stuff - is that they are full of sugar and other funky stuff. So why then is this drink so popular? And how can we make it better?
In the 16th century, Spanish conquerors brought back cocoa beans from South America to Europe. They drank liquid cocoa but with chilli, the Latin way. This practice spread to other parts of Europe like Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and France; however the inclusion of chilli slowly lost its popularity. Originally, the drink was expensive to consume and usually only available to the elites as it was considered a beverage of luxury and sophistication. It was also used for therapeutic purposes and as a tonic, to heal wounds and to enhance libido. Eventually, people started drinking the beverage on it’s own without the chilli and while it was hot.
Luckily for all of us, hot chocolate has benefits! Here are some to know of:
- Cocoa is rich in zinc, which ensures proper synthesis of proteins
- Cocoa is linked to improved moods and it also provides energy
- Cocoa has antioxidant properties which prevents rapid cell aging
- Hot chocolate is mineral and vitamin rich
Of course, if you’re drinking hot chocolate without being aware of the ingredients, chances are you’re loading your system with sugar, which defeats the purpose of consuming powerful cocoa - but this is where we can help. We bring you our rendition of hot chocolate - one where you will approve of the ingredients and also be able to make it yourself at home for the family. This recipe we have combines powerful ingredients like turmeric, coconut oil, Kelutut Honey and cinnamon - hence the name Superfoods Hot Chocolate! The recipe makes 1 cup, but double the ingredients or triple them for two or three servings. Do not make this for kids late at night though - cocoa is known to keep people awake!
Here are the ingredients needed:
- 1 cup of hot water, coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 TBSP of cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp Kelutut honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in blender to mix in
- Warm over medium heat in a small saucepan while stirring constantly
- Top off with marshmallows or granola (both optional) and enjoy!