Gelatin is an odourless, colourless and flavourless food obtained from collagen of various animal by-products such as beef and veal bones, tendon and cartilages. Although this simple food may be sometimes sidelined in the kitchen, it is packed with a host of health benefits.
For one, gelatin is great for joint pain relief, thanks to the high content of specific essential amino acids that are present in it. A steady consumption of gelatin supplement is also known to have improved muscle growth, bone health and body metabolism.
For me, I love consuming it for its anti-ageing properties. Ingesting gelatin helps to maintain great skin, nail and hair. Think, a more elastic skin! Apart from that, gelatin also has amazing gut-healing properties. It helps to heal the gut lining by enhancing gastric acid secretion and restoring a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach. This keeps a healthy digestive track, and I have to say that a calm and heathy tummy does dictate the quality of my life.
One way of consuming gelatin is through desserts. This is a kid-friendly jelly gummy using natural colouring that is an easy snack. Here is a basic recipe but feel free to play with the ingredients. Enjoy!
- 30g gelatin
- 2 cups fruit juice of choice (watermelon, coconut water, kiwi, berries, mango)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Honey or agave nectar
- Pour half the juice in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set aside.
- Warm up half the juice in a pot over slow fire. Do not let it simmer.
- Combine the gelatin mix into the juice pot. Add lemon juice and honey to taste.
- Mix till combined, pour into mould and let set in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Gelatin in Nutrition And Medicine, Gotthoffer NR
Looking for easy-to-follow recipes? PurelyB has plenty for you to choose from. Join our community today and sign up for free.