The Follicular Phase is the first 7-10 days after your menstrual cycle ends. Hormone levels are at their lowest and begin to rise during this phase. This results in gradually increasing energy levels which need proper fuelling.
You’re likely to be feeling lighter just after your period, so the focus will be on eating fresh, light foods. Veggies, lean proteins, and quality grains will provide long-lasting energy. Healthy fats such as avocado and cashews can help to increase cervical mucus production.
Lightly cooking food or opting to keep some foods raw is also beneficial for the follicular phase. Additionally, pickled cabbage and other fermented foods help the body metabolise estrogen, which is rising during these few days.
This is a simple favourite that will have you feeling fresh and vibrant, whilst supporting the follicular phase of your monthly cycle.
Recipe: Zesty Avocado Toast
- 2 slices fresh whole wheat bread, sugar free if possible
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 2 tbsp cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch sea salt (to taste)
- Pinch cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp pickled cabbage
- Cut open the avocado around the middle and remove the seed. Scoop out the inner fruit with a spoon and place in a small bowl.
- Add lime juice and mash together (lemon juice is fine as a substitute).
- Toast the two slices of bread.
- Spread the mashed avocado on top of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle cashews and parsley on toast.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add 1 tbsp pickled cabbage on top of each piece of toast (with vinegar “juice” drained so the bread doesn’t become soggy).
- Serve immediately.