It was once thought that vegans only ate salads, but these days mouthwatering classics like mac and cheese, burgers, ice cream and even local favourites like nasi lemak are popping up everywhere, vegan style. It’s safe to say, a plain, boring salad just won’t do anymore!Made without any dairy, this mac & cheese recipe uses cashews, pumpkin and nutritional yeast to create a creamy, vegan cheese sauce. And to spice things up a bit, a touch of gojuchang, a, spicy, sweet, and savoury fermented Korean sauce great for increasing metabolism, heart health and a burst of probiotics.
The sauce couldn’t be easier to make, all you need is a saucepan and a high powered blender, such as the Vitamix Prep 3. Watch the video for a step-by-step guide to see how it’s made!
Recipe: Vegan Gochujang Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Brought to you by Mii FoodService
- 2 cup pasta, cooked
- Handful Swiss chard
- 1 stalk of spring onions, chopped
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 2 tbsp black beans, cooked
- Chili flakes, to garnish
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 8 hours
- ¾ cup pumpkin, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime juice
- ½ cup organic vegetable stock
- ½ cup fresh coconut milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- ½ tbsp organic gochujang
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vitamix blender
- Medium sized saucepan
- Add the pumpkin, onion, garlic, veggie stock & coconut milk to a medium sized saucepan, season, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, and add to a high power blender, along with lime juice, gochujang, nutritional yeast, arrowroot starch, salt & pepper. Blend on high until smooth.
- Stir in with cooked pasta & add Swiss chard until wilted
- Serve and top with radish, bean beans, spring onion, chili flakes
Mii FoodService is a food service equipment distributor and advisory specialised in supplying quality beverage equipment such as the blender used in this recipe. They also provide tailor-made solutions for businesses from start to end. Take your menu to the next level with Mii FoodService’s customised services.