Cranberry Chili Salt Quinoa Salad
| Written by Amanda Teh
The mention of a salad usually brings to mind a bowl of mixed greens, however there’s more to a salad than just lettuce and its leafy counterparts!
A quinoa salad makes for a healthy appetiser, side dish or even a delicious meal on its own. If you’ve been looking for an easy, healthy and delicious quinoa recipe, the recipe below may just be it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 whole onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 whole carrot
- 1 cup cranberries
For Salad Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 2 medium-sized limes
- 1 teaspoon chilli salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
Step 1: Cook quinoa perfectly
- Measure 1 cup of quinoa and put in a fine-mesh drainer, then rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Quinoa is usually coated in a bitter-tasting powder so you need to really make sure that you get it all off.
- Heat up a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the drained quinoa, stirring it for a few seconds.
- Add in hot water. For a fluffy texture, my favourite ratio is 1 cup of quinoa to 1.5 cup of water.
- Put some sea salt and let it boil and cook for about 8 minutes.
- When it is done, let it cool.
Step 2: Making the salad sauce
- Prepare a bowl, add all the ingredients for the salad sauce and mix well.*
- The chili salt and curry powder will bring out the flavour of the salad.
* You can always adjust the ingredients according to your preference
Step 3: Putting it all together
- First, wash all the salad ingredients (minus the quinoa), and make sure you pat-dry them.
- Then chop them finely.
- Prepare a big salad bowl and mix quinoa and all the other ingredients together.
- Finally put in the salad sauce and mix well.
- Put in the fridge for up to 4 hours before serving to allow the flavours to develop.