Chances are serums are part of daily routine. If they are not, here is our plea for you to begin to include them. A good serum is your golden ticket to healthy-looking skin; in fact, it is the very foundation of great skin. We recommend everyone above the age of 25 use a serum. Getting older is unavoidable, but dealing with outward signs of ageing is manageable.
Why are skin serums so important
A good quality serum is packed with potent ingredients that have the ability to penetrate deep into your skin and do some serious preventative work and damage repair. This typically results with the improvement in brightness and elasticity. As a general rule, we prefer organic non-toxic serums, but if those are harder to find or will break the bank, focus on the ingredients.
As always, it’s what inside that counts. Here are some important components your serum should include—better yet if it contains all of them at once.
1. Deanol or DMAE which is known to help with firming of the skin.
2. Vitamin C which helps with the production of collagen. We know collagen is essential for maintaining youthful skin because is has plumping properties which help to smoothen our wrinkles. Vitamin C also assists with the fighting of free radicals which will help slow down the ageing process.
3. Vitamin A or Retinol is probably one of the most important ingredients for your serum to contain, as these ingredients help to rejuvenate your skin by regenerating new cells. The result is fresh youthful skin.
4. Hyaluronic acid is often nicknamed "nature's moisturiser" because of it's incredible hydration abilities. This is important because wrinkles form on skin that is not moisturised. Hyaluronic also works in smooth ways (pun very much intended) without leaving your skin oily or greasy!
5. Ubiquinone is an amazing antioxidant, probably one of the best ones out there. It protects from damage of free radicals and helps to boost the production of collagen.
Some of the skin serums we love are:
- Biossance Squalane Phyto+Retinol Serum
- Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Serum
- BYBI Superchage Serum
- Origins Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Mega Mushroom Relief & Face Serum
It’s also important to note that diet plays a role in the look of your skin. Getting plenty of water and eating hydrating, nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables is a great way to take care of your skin from the inside out. And nutritional supplements like Pegaga by PurelyB, a traditional Asian superfood blend comprised of Pegaga (Gotu Kola), turmeric and papaya leaf, habbatus sauda and green apples and dates can help, too. The rich antioxidants found in Pegaga enhance skin repair by reducing inflammation and skin irritation, while the essential amino and fatty acids improve circulation, and stimulate cell growth and collagen production needed for skin elasticity, firming and anti-ageing.
Pair your favourite serum with a daily dose of Pegaga by PurelyB and you’ll experience healthier, smoother, more radiant, youthful skin in no time!