Happy 2020! It’s finally here, a brand new year and a fresh new decade. If you’re anything like us, you enjoyed yourself in December a little too much. But then again, that’s what the holidays are about.It was a time to group loved ones in the same room. A time to eat treats you normally wouldn't allow yourself to have and a time to just enjoy the benefits of all the slog and hard work you’ve put in from the year’s beginning. We certainly did all that and perhaps you did too. But January 2020 is here so now what? Well it’s time to get yourself back on track, of course! We’re not the biggest proponents of resolutions. Instead, what we can get behind is the implementation of new healthy habits. Here are four pillars to make sure you set the tone right for 2020 after the new year celebrations:
- Learn a new skill. Allow yourself to learn perhaps an instrument or a new language? Maybe take up baking or a hobby that has piqued your interest but you’ve never quite gotten down and dirty with yet. New skills sharpen our brains and allow for neurogenesis. It also gives us confidence and tells us we are capable of things outside our comfort zone. Channeling energy into something you wouldn't particularly be involved in allows you some “me-time” and also the chance to meet new people with common interests.
- Own a plant and see your health & productivity improve: Research has shown that the presence of indoor plants can lower our stress levels; actively caring for plants can calm your autonomic nervous system and lower blood pressure. It has also been proven that when people work near plants, they experience greater focus, concentration, satisfaction, and better air quality.
- Mindful living & getting back to basics: Yes it’s important to begin to incorporate back things like plant-based ingredients, real foods and fiber onto your plate and limit your intake of refined sugar, but what we’re looking at are even more basic. Like getting enough water. Making sure you get fresh air outside every day. Exercising at least three to four times a week. Making sure your digestion is at optimal levels by healing your gut health and cleansing your internal system with our Traditional Asian Superfood Blend Pegaga by PurelyB. These things set the baseline for your health, so that you can start 2020 on a great note and rebuilding well again.
- Sleep habits: During deep sleep, your body works to repair muscles, organs, and cells. Unfortunately, more than a third of us don’t regularly get the minimum seven hours of sleep we need every night. It’s best to sleep before midnight, the optimal time for your body to repair - and the best way to ensure you do so is by setting an alarm for 45 minutes to an hour before lights-out, advises Holly Phillips, MD, the author of The Exhaustion Breakthrough. Once it goes off, start your wind-down routine, whether that involves finishing up work, preparing for the next day’s activities etc. Don’t forget that the bright blue light from your devices can delay the release of the sleep hormone melatonin, making it harder to fall asleep thus try to practice dimming the brightness on your reading devices or activate blue-light-limiting features. Your body will thank you for it!
- Upgrade your immunity with herbs: Humans have been using herbs for healing well before the first person took out a papyrus and pen to write. These prehistoric means of healing stem from nature, and arguably are better than conventional drug and pharmaceutical remedies. Next time you need an immunity boost, try any or all of these herbs to naturally return to optimal health quickly as part of your daily routine! - Turmeric, Astragalus, Pegaga (Gotu Kola), Oregano, Echinachea, Angelica, Ginger
3. EmotionalIt’s important for us to make sure our emotions are properly managed. This year is a year we keep our outbursts in check, whether external or internal. It’s a time we give ourselves just a little more room to be us, authentic and all. It’s an opportunity to love ourselves a little more so that when things don’t quite go “right”, we don't freak out; instead we have the tools to manage our state of mind and emotions and manage the situation at hand without going into spirals. How do you do this you ask? To be more mindful & conscious; to be grounded and connected to everything around us, and not get so distracted by thoughts of the future or the past which often leads to unnecessary stress & anxiety! With our often fast-paced & hectic lifestyles, being more present & mindful is so important to keep us balanced, happy and focused amidst the wonderful yet overwhelming chaos of life! From practicing more gratitude (write 3 good things that happen for you each day before you sleep), meditation, journaling, breathwork, yoga, sound healing and more, there are so many ways to explore a more “present” and conscious mindset, and as a result better emotional health this year.
The famous Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “the purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” We hold this truth in our hearts. We often get wrapped up in our lives, our to-do-lists, our weekend plans and forget how powerful we are, and what an impact we can have on the lives of others. And we don’t mean by donating money. Instead, donate some of your time if you can. Start with an animal shelter in your city. Or an orphanage for underprivileged kids, or volunteering at a soup kitchen. Here are just some outstanding and heartwarming stories of kindness for your inspiration.
So there you have it, the four golden pillars of Mental, Physical, Emotional and Community. We hope you’ll slowly begin to put lifestyle changes into place; new habits for the new year that result in better every day living. We wish you the best!