The definition of success is different for all, and there are many ways of defining it. Generally speaking, some may be deemed successful if they are happy with their lot, whereas some others may be deemed so because of the fortunes that they have amassed. What's your definition of success?
I am lucky because I am surrounded by many successful women who have helped me. I have noticed that all these women, although different, have some traits in common that propelled them to where they are today - here are seven:
- Successful women wake up early and make the best of the day; they plan and prioritise goals and make a check list for what needs to be done.
- They never go without a healthy breakfast to fuel the day and always keep healthy snacks in their handbags to prevent energy dips and to keep hunger at bay. We tend to focus and concentrate more when we are less hungry.
- Have a morning ritual; doing yoga and meditation in the morning helps with keeping one grounded.
- They surround themselves with positive, fun loving people. They go out and mingle instead of staying at home in their pyjamas. All work and no play makes a plain Jane dull. Networking with others that share the same goal is the best asset you can give yourself.
- Successful women also have a group of girlfriends whom they share everything with – think of the ladies from the hit show Sex and the City! Successful women treasure and cherish friendships. I remember when I was at the lowest point in my career, my girlfriends were the ones who banded together and spurred me on and you will need people like that in your life.
- Successful women take time to pamper themselves, not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. They understand that success comes when you treat yourself with respect and love the person you see in the mirror.
- They understand that every woman is unique and embrace that. Operation Beautiful was set up by a woman who understood how detrimental it was when women put themselves down and aims to transform how women see themselves.
- I make it a goal for myself to learn something new every day. Life is a lifelong journey of learning. The world is ever evolving and with ever-advancing technology, information is readily available. If we don’t catch up, how will we be able to equip ourselves and be able to compete?
- Successful women work hard and are always ready to challenge themselves. They attend seminars or workshops to enrich their knowledge and in turn, pass on the knowledge to others. They are not stingy when it comes to education because they want to better others as well.
- The successful women I know all take responsibility for their actions and not blame others when things go wrong. They figure out what went wrong and strive to do better. They know that they cannot always win. Failure provides an opportunity to just try again harder.
- They understand that they are not perfect. “We each, if we’re lucky, will have our chance to leave a mark on the world, but we are trying too hard to be perfect,” wrote Debora Spar in Glamour Magazine. “So don’t emulate Wonder Woman; think about what’s wonderful to you instead. Then boldly, audaciously, joyfully, leave the rest behind.”
- They are in-charge of their lives and are not afraid of taking calculated risks. They work hard for what they are passionate about and believe in, and they make others believe in it too.
- If you don’t love what you do then you are not going to be motivated to go above and beyond, to innovate and to stand out in the workplace. But if you’re passionate about your career and what you do, it will make putting time and effort into it enjoyable, not a chore.
Read on for more tips on how you can be healthy on-the-go!